Thursday, November 30, 2006

bike restoration


One area of the bike business I have neglected to blog about is the restoration of old bikes. I am currently in the process of restoring two 1955 Schwinn Phantoms. It has been a labor of love, because it certainly was not for the money.
I received the frames from my dad, but they are missing some of the most crucial parts (aka most expensive parts). I have spent many hours searching the web for original parts, but faced many dead ends. I ran into countless dead web sites offering exactly what I needed. As much as I hated to do it, I turned to eBay to locate parts.
I learned the pitfalls of dealing with people through an online auction site. I was sold a bike that was completely different from what was advertised in the auction. From that point on I learned how to ask questions and how to detect an dishonorable seller.
The local market was not helpful for locating parts and service. No one wants to mess with something so old. I had to resort to finding bike shops in the tri-state area. Cash and many hours of searching through piles and piles of old parts are needed to find what I needed. Many people told me it was pointless to restore these bikes and that I should sell what I have to them. Once again, I think I am dealing with a less than reputable seller.
There has been a surge since the 1980s to restore this type of bike; and with this surge, has come an increase in aftermarket parts. Many of these parts are coming from foreign manufacturers. They are less than a perfect match and are of a lesser quality in material. I have been avoiding these parts, but as come close to obtaining all of the parts I may have to resort to purchasing them.
There are several web sites that offer tips and dvds on how to restore the Phantom. I purchased a dvd that narrator showed the tips he found that work best when restoring a bike. He also showed some of Schwinn’s original tricks for painting and assembling the Phantom.
After scouring both the web and bike shows I have a majority of what I need. Now I need to find a sandblaster, a painter, a chromer, and bike mechanic to put these two bikes together.


How to restore a Phantom
eBay
Bike help

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home